Ok so there was this open mic poetry night last night. I went to it, but I left after like five minutes of waiting for it to start. What can I say? I'm not aparticularly patient person. Quite the opposite.
Anyway, instead I called a friend and we started talking about how everyone back home is doing, if we had heard about our old classmates, the weather, college, etc. Just life in general. ( A few personal things were mentioned, but I won't say... They are personal for a reason.) It got me thinking; life can change so fast. I mean, I've know this for quite a while, but well, last night I just started getting into it. Sometimes it just seems like I blink and BAM! life has done a 360 on me (again). This last Friday I went back to my highchool to get an official transcript and it felt like I had never left. I bumped into people I knew, and it was like I was going to class again. I would say Deja Vu, but it wasn't quite like that. And last night, after I talked to my friend (let's call her C), well after I talke to C, I went over what we had talked about. Preious friends were getting jobs, or had knew jobs.... just being adults, you know? That exact thought popped into my head. I just froze right there. These are people I've known for a while, but people I've know only as teens. But they're not teens anymore. WE'RE not teens anymore. We started the rest of our lives. I guess it finally hit me. It really hit me now. Oh, and recently I've begun chating with a past friend of mine. In fact she was once my best friend. I've know her since we were three. Let's call her E. Well, E's off doing her thing to. The last time I saw E we were both little girls. We were eleven. And talking to her again, after so many years, it's put the speed of time into perspective for me. Where did all those years go? All those moments? And one can't help but wonder what would have happened, if say in this case, with me and E, I hadn't moved? Would our friendship still be going strong? I talk to her now and we seem to have so little in common. Would that have caused us to drift apart? Would it have brought us closer? What about all the people I've met since? My best friend, Y, I love her dearly, her and her beautiful daughter that I have the pleasure of calling "niece" (and "sweet child"). Would I ever have met Y? There are just so many "what if's" in life. And for us time is straight; we should look forward in the straight line that is presented as time to us. But sometimes we just can't help looking back. And, personally, I think that it's important to look back. Not because of that bs that people are always saying (that we should learn from our past mistakes, although that is important) but because memories are important. Answer this question: What and Who would you be without all your memories? Everything we know about the world and especially ourselves is from memories; memories are found in the past. So, Who/ What would I be without my memories? I'd be a body, with thoughts, of course, still an individual, but what characteristics would define me?It is my past that has build the characteristics that make me. To spell out my point: look into the past to remember who you are; without your past you would not be you. And who knows who you would be.
Time for me to part. Gotta find out who I am. :D
Ciao!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment